Thursday, December 2, 2010

Fashion Is A Revolving Door

High-waisted jeans are coming back around again, and so will pantyhose. Then the bare legs people will seem out of date and the pro-hose people will be the ones in vogue. As for myself, my mom wore pantyhose all through my childhood, under dresses, suits and even her jeans (she has never worn shorts because she can't wear pantyhose with them).However, I hate pantyhose! I think they are for older women who have unattractive legs or for women who are hiding scars of some sort.
 I used to work at a bank, one of the last bastions of the "pantyhose rule." Company policy dictated that we had to wear them. It was horrible. They're itchy and they creep up (or down). In the summer, they're too hot. In the winter, they're too cold. And, lest we forget, they catch on everything and get snags and runs. I had to keep spare pantyhose in my desk drawer because the ones I was wearing would inevitably get caught on the edge of a file cabinet and develop a huge run right before an important meeting. What other piece of apparel can you take out of the package and totally ruin with a stray hangnail before you've even worn it? Only pantyhose!


  A very interesting topic - my husband and I were discussing this the other night while watching the Oscars. There one saw perfectly-dressed women in the height of fashion, but with bare legs that (for us) made those designer dresses seem like they were running into the 7-11 for a gallon of milk. Maybe we are old-school (or just old :-), but for us 40-somethings a woman just wasn't 'dressed' without hose. I see this at work as well - young, well-dressed ladies with fine clothes on but bumpy (and sometimes scaly) bare legs! It's not a 'sex' thing, or a fetish or the like. Fine clothes and a genteel look seem to require some sort of effort in the hosiery department.
 

 Our trips to Europe provide mixed results - more young women than ever are going bare-legged, but then again more women are using hosiery as part of the fashion statement: bright or contrasting colors, wild patterns, or wooly-snuggy 'Rambler'-type warm tights make us confident that hosiery will always be part of a well-dressed woman's wardrobe. My old daughter who is quickly coming up on her 30th birthday, has chastized me for wanting her to wear at least knee or thigh high hosiery for when she goes to choose the bridal gown for her upcoming wedding. Her response to me was, "no one wears hosiery anymore no matter how long of dress or skirt they wear." She does not even live in an area of the country that is considered a high fashion area, and she is still totally convince her statement is unquestionably true. These days, is her sentiments, concerning all types of sheer hosiery, true for most 20 - 30 year olds.Fashion is a revolving door! Maybe you can get inspiration of fashion from



No comments:

Post a Comment